Japan for Families
One of our favorite tour guides Context Travel offers excellent day trips in Japan – a single day to explore the marvelous kaleidoscope that is Tokyo.
There’s also an awesome 5-day itinerary of the highlights: Tokyo, Kyoto, and Arashiyama — curated especially for Families.
Or pick and choose your tours for Japan – a la carte style!
Context Travel offers cultural and historical tours and activities led by deep subject-matter experts in over 50 cities around the world. It’s an in-depth, thematic way to explore the city, get to know its intimate nooks and crannies.
Japan for Families: 5-day itinerary
This is an in-depth introduction to Japan’s major hubs, as much as you can reasonably see in five days. It’s a comfortable step back in time that’s perfect for curious families. You’ll start in the bustling metropolis of Tokyo, then grab the bullet train to the old capital of Kyoto, keeper of Japan’s centuries-old heritage. On the outskirts of Kyoto lie the beautiful temples and landscapes of Arashiyama.
Day 1: Tokyo in a Day
- Akihabara electric city
- Omotesando and Harajuku hip shops and quirky fashion
- Meiji-jingu & Shinto
Day 2: Evening: Kyoto Geisha Tour: Gion at Twilight
- Travel to Kyoto by train
- Explore the historic district of Gion
Day 3: Introduction to Kyoto: Temples and Shrines
- Kyoto’s temples and shrines
Day 4: Kyoto for Families: World of the Warriors
- Samurai culture, games and activities for kids
- Nijo Castle
- Japanese gardens
Day 5: Arashiyama Tour
- Travel back in time to the Heian period in Arashiyama on the outskirts of Kyoto
- The Heian period (794 to 1185 c.e.) is analogous to the ancient Greek and Roman periods for Europeans. Many of Japan’s foundational beliefs, arts and traditions were developed during this period.